Gangs

Gang Sweeps Won’t Work

Posted June 10, 2010 by Various

In an effort to combat gang violence, the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office launched a series of sweeps on April 25, 2010 to pick up gang members from the streets. As of May 11, 710 alleged gang members had been arrested. But many of The kNOw writers share that the sweeps offer no solid solution to the gang problem nor does it make them feel any safer.

Full Story »

candidateforum2
Activism

Youth Seek Answers From Fresno City Council Candidates

Posted May 25, 2010 by The kNOw

On Thursday evening, May 20, eleven candidates for Fresno City Council joined over 140 Fresno citizens at the youth-led “We Wanna Know!” Candidate Forum at the Zimmerman Boys and Girls Club.

Full Story »

Community

Today’s Streets Lack Respect

Posted May 13, 2010 by Various

Anyone Can Be A Cholo The rules of the streets have changed a lot over the years. I don’t know much about other gangs, but I know about this one particular gang. They used to be all about respect and they learn the rules every time they get jumped in. But people haven’t been following […]

Full Story »

Activism

Selections from “Write A Letter Home” 2010 Census Youth Fresno Campaign

Posted April 27, 2010 by Various

Dear Family, For many years, people of color were not counted as a full person in the United States… The Census gives everyone a voice, after so many years of our people being over-looked, it is time that we are all accounted for.  So please, participate in the Census and have your voice count. -Maria […]

Full Story »

A Day in the Life

Celebrating The Women In Our Lives, In Honor Of Women’s History Month

Posted March 18, 2010 by Various

No One Else Like Her My mom gave birth to and raised eleven children. She is an awesome person, always giving and kind. No one else makes my life as great as she does. She can’t really speak or understand English but she knows that education is the key to a successful future. She literally […]

Full Story »